Laparoscopy is a skilled profession that demands a high level of expertise and well-versed training. Gynecological Laparoscopy involves procedures such as
- Laparoscopic Myomectomy
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy
- Laparoscopic Ovarian Cystectomy
- Laparoscopic tubal evaluation and repairs
- Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy for Infertility
- Hysteroscopic Polypectomy
- Hysteroscopic septal resection
- Hysteroscopic D&C
Gynecological expertise is of paramount importance in all of these procedures.
Reasons for gynecologic laparoscopy
Laparoscopy can be used for diagnosis, treatment, or both of them. A diagnostic procedure can sometimes very commonly turn into a treatment.
Some reasons for diagnostic laparoscopy are:
- unexplained pelvic pain
- unexplained infertility history of pelvic infection
Conditions that might be diagnosed using laparoscopy include:
- Uterine fibroids
- Ovarian cysts or tumors
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Pelvic adhesions
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
Some types of laparoscopic treatment include:
- Hysterectomy or removal of the uterus
- Removal of ovaries
- removal of ovarian cysts
- removal of fibroids
- blocking blood flow to fibroids
- adhesion removal
- reversal of a contraceptive surgery called tubal ligation
- Burch procedure for incontinence
- vault suspension to treat a prolapsed uterus
Preparing for gynecologic laparoscopy
Preparation depends on the type of surgery. You may need imaging tests, or your doctor might order fasting or an enema.
Tell your doctor about any medication you take. This includes over-the-counter drugs and supplements. You may need to stop them before the procedure.
Ask a friend to come to pick you up after the surgery or schedule a car service. You will not be allowed to drive yourself.
Cosmetic Gynaecology is one of the emerging areas of Gynecology and includes :
- Non-surgical vaginal tightening
- Surgical vaginoplasty
- Hymenoplasty or restoration of virginity
- Ovarian rejuvenation
- Reversing menopause
- Non-surgical treatments for painful intercourse
Dr. Ruchi Tandon, is a specialized gynecologist practicing in Greater Kailash, South Delhi with over 13 years of experience in operative laparoscopy, cosmetic Gynecology, and high-risk pregnancy cases.