Fibroids are the benign (non cancerous) growths arising from the uterus. They may have a variety of presentations, ranging from menorrhagia or heavy bleeding to being completely asymptomatic. Fibroids treatment is easy now. Dr. Ruchi Tandon is known for the best fibroids surgeon in greater Kailash, south Delhi.
They are broadly classified as:
- Intramural (within the wall of uterus)
- Subserosal (arising above the uterine wall)
- Sub mucosal(arising from within the endometrial cavity or within the uterus)
Depending on the age and kind of presentation, there are different means of investigations and treatment. Best modality to diagnose a fibroid is still ultrasound, preferably transvaginal ultrasound. In case of big fibroids, MRI is a better modality of investigation. Treatment varies depending on symptoms, i.e. as follows:
- Hemostatic agents such as traneximic acid
- Removal of fibroids by myomectomy ,open surgery
- Removal of fibroids by laparoscopic myomectomy or key hole surgery
Fibroids that are less than 5 cm and asymptomatic don’t need any surgical management and can be managed conservatively. Fibroids that are more than 5 cm and symptomatic i.e.bleed a lot or cause pain should be removed by surgery. Laparoscopic myomectomy requires skill and expertise.